Joe Joe is offline

Default The perfect boat

On Dec 9, 3:27*pm, "mmc" wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

On Dec 9, 11:45 am, "mmc" wrote:

Face it the shrimpers, and fishermen and pleasure sportsmen support
the protection of the stock more than any other group at all.

------------
Joe,
Protection of fish stocks is more in the above group's interest than
anyone
else's but the above are the people that make government conservation
measurements necessary.

*IIRC you also mentioned that the Japs were the problem. If the govt
wanted to fine the people that caused the mullet problems than a 1000%
export tax on mullet would have been more fair, and targeted to the
cause. That 1000% tax could have been used to restock and conserve.

--------

The Japanese market was part of the proble in that instance but a much
bigger problem was the irresponsible attitude of the fishermen. If left to
take care of thier own industry, they'd have wiped out this important link
in the food chain and caused a much greater negative impact.
I also appreciate the traditional generations of professional fisher folk
but there are so many more sharing a much smaller harvest and the only real
choice is to either let them fish out the stock or step in before that
happens. To me the second is the only option.

here that is not so, back many years ago they stopped passing out
commerical shrimp licences. Now you have to purchace that licences
from an existing owner willing to sell it. You can buy his boat for
next to nothing but the licences is worth around a 100K. Sort of like
NY Taxi cabs plates.

They may support the protection but many do so with a bunch of hot air
only.

I agree.
But I've also seen and been part of re-stocking the Redfish population
here along with many others that never fish. In any group you will
find people just just take and never give back. But to be willing to
watch a fleet of mariners just die off due to Chinese farm shrimp
flooding the market, and not caring.... I find very offensive.

------------

I think this is where a "co-op" between the industry and Gov't would make
sense - come up with a plan to manage and restock before it becomes a
crisis.

Thats happening everywhere. The industry and rules are heavly
regulated. The FV San Jacinto drags most every day monitoring the bay
and set the rules and limits and times shrimpers can fish.

I watched Port Canaveral go from about 70% working port to 70%
cruise liner port and I hate it. I rather be downwind of a pile of scallop
shells than a bus load of tourists any day.
I salute you for helping with the restock! That's great.

Not me, the CCA in Corpus Christi deserves all the credit.
http://www.ccatexas.org
We just had a boat (among 100's) that could release fingerlings. They
have done a great job in bringing back the Redfish in all Texas bays
releasing 10's of millions of fish to the bays. We now have 10X the
Redfish counted in the 70's.

-------------.

Not to mention that a single shrimp farms inability to control a
shrimp virus and desease could wipe out the whole natural shrimp stock
here. Gulf and white shrimp do not do well in farms and imported stock
for the farms is like rolling the dice. One discharce problem or even
one seagull dropping an infected shrimp in the Gulf could kill off a
whole species of shrimp.

We are already seeing massive blooms of asian snakehead fish, carp,
ect that are wiping out local species.

Here on Floridas Space Coast we've seen scallops, white shrimp, clams just
about wiped out.

*Got news for you MMC, the whole of the worlds oceans have just about
been wiped out. So who's going to fix it? Most likely the people who
depend on it, starting with the people that make a direct living at
sea IMO.

------------

I've been in on on the water for a lot of years and have seen a lot of
change-not much of it for the good except for the Gov't stopping dumping of
trash and waste and trying to regulate the take- but usually in reaction to
problems rather than proactively to avoid them.

I've seen much of the opposite. The oil field is about a zero
discharge industry now. When I started there often the answer was to
put drums of soap on the back deck, punch holes in them and run back
and forth through an oil slick to disperse it before anyone notices.
Remember the tar balls that use to wash up...havent seen that in many
many years now. The shrimpers have T.E.D.'s now and in Galveston we
have a huge sea turtle hatchery. But we have a very long way to go to
get back to the good ol days

About who will fix it? I don't think it will happen at all. When the mullet
netters lost that livelihood? they took up crabbing and clamming and help to
screw those up too.

I guess I have a bit more faith in mankind, many smart fishermen look
at what happened to the cod stock up north and figured that something
has to be done. I'm a firm beliver that we can manage and protect the
fisheries, and if done right we can even make them better for the next
generation. It's been done with the Redfish here it can be done with
most any species.

In my life I think I've been to one place that was pristine at the
time (Diego Garcia) and it was the most awesome thing you have ever
seen. 100's of types of coral forming giant reefs covered with a 1000
different types of brilliantly colored exotic fish that numbered in
the millions. You could catch 30 lb red snappers everytime you dropped
a hook in the water. It was heaven on earth, or hell if you ran into
Hector.

http://www.zianet.com/tedmorris/dg/hector.html

Joe

-----------

Someone's got to do it, and I doubt someone that could care
less about a disappearing fleet is going to be the one.

*I saw something that was a direct result of over fishing returning
from Belize. For a hundred + miles a bloom of huge jelly fish. I'm
talking about everywhere you looked the water was stuffed with them
for a hundred + miles, no telling how wide the bloom was. I've never
seen anything like it before and have crossed the gulf many times
starting in the early 80's.

*As I said previously, netters were working hard to decimate

mullet before the goverment stepped in.

As the goverment should have. But who paid for the boats to do the
research that determined the netting needed to stop? Most likely same
as here, the money came from fishery permits.

Lot's of hot air.

Is it?

Joe
-------