posted to rec.boats.building
Bruce In Bangkok Bruce In Bangkok is offline

Default do all (most?) epoxies bond to each other?

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 09:14:01 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 07:37:38 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"mx" wrote in message
Will all epoxies bond to one another? I have some West GFlex, which I
want to use thickened to fill a gap between two loosely-fit fiberglass
parts, and some System Three laminating resin (Clear Coat, I think, I
don't have it with me right now) that I then want to use with glass
tape to reinforce over the surface of the joint. Will the epoxies
bond well to each other, if the glass is applied within a few days of
the first resin?

Also, is colloidal silica and microballons the same? I have an old
bag of house-brand microballons from Fiberlay, and colloidal silica is
recommended as a thickener. I feel like I used to know the answer to
this...but, apparently, I'm an idiot!

There are not many things epoxy doesn't stick to.

And some things it doesn't really stick to at all. I have plastic
containers I've been mixing small batches of epoxy in for years. I let
the remaining epoxy in them cure comepletely and then hold the
container upside down over a wastebasket and flex it. All of the epoxy
pops right out, leaving a completely clean-as-new container.

I need some of those. I have been using plastic jars left over from other
things, and I just wind up throwing them away with each project. Been
thinking about getting some big bags of plastic beer cups for it since they
are so cheap.

I've been using cheap plastic mixing bowls. The cheapest seem to be
the best as they are made from a flimsy, flexible, material that is
easy to remove the hardened epoxy from. I also use paper coffee cups
for small batches - throwaway containers...
Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)