Edgar Edgar is offline

Default Vent filter

"cavelamb" wrote in message

The temperature is dropping like a barrel over Niagra Falls today.
Supposed to be 21 at noon today and hold for a few.

Since this is the first boat I've ever had that has plumbing I'm
kind of nervous about all that plumbing freezing up.
So the last few days have been spent digging through her bowels
trying to get all the lines emptied.

I'd almost (today) prefer a cedar bucket.

I may feel different about that in April though.

Freezing water only causes a problem if it has nowhere to go when it
expands.
So a bit of stuff in the bottom of your holding tank is not a problem, nor
is a little water lying in a plastic pipe or in the bottom of your fresh
water tank
Just make sure all systems drain at least enough to ensure nothing is chock
full of water with nowhere to expand. I got caught last year with a glass
pressure vessel for the fresh water system that was tucked out of sight
under the sink with inlet and outlet connections at the top and therefore
needed its bowl unscrewing and emptying even after the pipework had been
pumped dry. I replaced it with one which had the connections at the bottom
so it now drains naturally.
If your engine is fresh water cooled it should have antifreeze in it but it
will pay to disconnect the salt water inlet hose and suck enough antifreeze
up it so that both sides of the heat exchanger are protected, plus he
exhaust line..
If you leave batteries on board they will be Ok if fully charged but will
freeze and become useless if discharged. If your bilge pump is automatic it
should be disconnected from the batteries otherwise it may burn itself out
or blow its fuse if it freezes in the 'on' position. Some water is likely to
get into the bilge via the mast if it is stepped onto the keel so an
automatic bilge pump may try and start.