posted to rec.boats.building
I am Tosk I am Tosk is offline

Default do all (most?) epoxies bond to each other?

In article ,
says...

wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 07:37:38 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

"mx" wrote in message
Will all epoxies bond to one another? I have some West GFlex, which I
want to use thickened to fill a gap between two loosely-fit fiberglass
parts, and some System Three laminating resin (Clear Coat, I think, I
don't have it with me right now) that I then want to use with glass
tape to reinforce over the surface of the joint. Will the epoxies
bond well to each other, if the glass is applied within a few days of
the first resin?

Also, is colloidal silica and microballons the same? I have an old
bag of house-brand microballons from Fiberlay, and colloidal silica is
recommended as a thickener. I feel like I used to know the answer to
this...but, apparently, I'm an idiot!

There are not many things epoxy doesn't stick to.

And some things it doesn't really stick to at all. I have plastic
containers I've been mixing small batches of epoxy in for years. I let
the remaining epoxy in them cure comepletely and then hold the
container upside down over a wastebasket and flex it. All of the epoxy
pops right out, leaving a completely clean-as-new container.

I need some of those. I have been using plastic jars left over from other
things, and I just wind up throwing them away with each project. Been
thinking about getting some big bags of plastic beer cups for it since they
are so cheap.

I used to use the graduated 1 quart containers generally sold in the
paint section of Home Depot or such. Later I found them at a small resin
distributor for about .23 a piece. Use them a dozen or so times until
they crack or get too scratched up and toss 'em. easier to pour into
than beer cups, wider, and easier to work and stir in, a paint stirrer
works great...