Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Vent filter

On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 06:18:04 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 18:29:11 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

When I get a boat, it will have an Airhead or equivalent.
Every owner account I've read has been a good review.
Not suitable for "party boats" or more than 4-5 crew, but for a couple
or a couple with a couple kids it's fine.
No holding tanks, hoses, valves, pumpouts, etc.
And no stink.
Only reason I can figure they aren't more used is simple ignorance,
and the marine head parts industry poo-pooing the idea.
Rant over.

--Vic

Ever been on a small boat with one of those. They do STINK. I'm not
kidding. It's like being in a poorly maintained horse stall.

Not according to those using them, from what those who are using them
have said in various forums.
Even Peggy Hall, who is no fan, says,
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75136
"Actually, snowleopard, when installed, operated and maintained
properly, composters are odor-free. It's only when owners try to
"reinvent" them by using clay or sawdust instead of peatmoss, or
conserve power by not running the evaporators and fans...or just never
bothered to read the instructions to learn how to use them, that they
stink."

The manufacturer mentions this deftly, so they can say you have been
warned. From their brochu

"In many cases a noticeable improvement in air quality will be
perceived upon opening the companionway hatch after lay-ups."

You misunderstood that. It was preceded by,
"Additionally, the unit has an integral 12 volt fan that provides a
constant negative pressure to pull moisture out of the living space."

It was actually meant to convey that the toilet's fan will improve
cabin ventilation and make everything better than it was before the
Airhead was installed!

And you will not find many marinas that welcome folks dumping these
things into a standard commode as the manufacturer suggests.

Hadn't noticed that. Actual users don't do that. They bag the stuff
and toss it in the garbage, or take it home for the garden.

A 6 gallon Porta Potty is just as good a solution, and costs less than
1/10th the money. The Porta Potty can either be carried ashore and
dumped in a standard commode if you can find a place that doesn't
mind, or pumped out by any conventional pumpout rig.

The holding tank for a Porta Potty remains completely sealed when you
disconnect it, so carrying a second tank on long trips is feasible.

Whatever works. Number of considerations to be made.
Cost. Size. Usage. Sailing area, and time asea.
Climate - not as effective for cold weather sailors.
Might not want to try something "non-traditional."
Or just not want to replace the holding tank system already on the
boat.
Some are leery of the fan power draw, though a very small solar panel
takes care of that. It's basically a 12v CPU fan.
Personally I'll go pretty far to avoid toting a Porta Potty ****
slurry to the dock, or dealing with holding tank pumpouts and
plumbing issues.
But everybody has their own opinion, and I did say I was ranting.
I could very well end up with a Porta Potty, depending on the size of
the boat. Won't have holding tank setup in any case.
I want a boat, not a honey wagon. Eeeew.

--Vic