Wim

Default Pirates of the Caribbean - no, I'm serious

"being stolen with the use of a chainsaw. The thieves cut the
transom off the boat and walked away with the outboard, transom in
tow."

So why not steal the dinghy AND o/b?
Also chainsaw with a "silencer"?

"carried a shotgun around just as a destractor for customs."
This is a good one!
ROTFL

--
c ya Wim
www.cruising.ca/thousand/f-index.html

"Dan" wrote in message
om...
: Since they are chartering a boat, I wouldn't be too worried about
: pirates at sea. Your safety ashore is much more at risk if you are in
: the tourist trap areas (pick pockets, etc.). Check out the Seven Seas
: Cruising Association for Piracy reports. Most the of the Caribbean is
: relatively safe with the exception of the Venezulian and Columbian
: coasts. If pirates do come, they are after things they can easily
: fence -small electronics, outboard motors, things easily carried off,
: and of course, cash. Precautions at night are a must. Make sure they
: know how to turn the deck lights on. This will scare away most
: intruders if they are trying to climb aboard. Also, secure the dinghy
: aboard if possible. I like to do this simply because storms can pop
: up in the middle of the night and it's just one less thing to worry
: about while fighting a dragging anchor.
:
: In the Bahama's a favorite trick for thieves is to strip naked, cover
: themselves in vasoline, and climb aboard at night when everyone is
: asleep or possibly ashore passed out at a tavern. Being naked and
: greased up makes it hard for you to grab hold of them. I've read
: reports about outboard motors that were locked to the transom of a
: dinghy being stolen with the use of a chainsaw. The thieves cut the
: transom off the boat and walked away with the outboard, transom in
: tow.
:
: As a side note, I have a number of friends that have cruised the
: caribbean extensively and even gone down the coast of South America
: all the away to the tip of Argentina. They said guns are useful.
: When trying to clear customs at a port, the officials will be so
: worried about your gun that they often overlook things like expired
: pet tags or other goods in the boat that have not been declared. They
: carried a shotgun around just as a destractor for customs.
:
: Dan Schiro
: M/V Sea Ranch
: Pensacola Sail and Power Squadron
:
: (Curtis CCR) wrote in message
. com...
: I enjoyed the movie - it's my favorite ride a Disneyland... but I was
: looking for up-to-date opinions on the threat of piracy in the
: Caribbean. If you go to Google and search of information, all you get
: is the movie stuff etc. Try changing the word to "Piracy" with
: Caribean and you get hits related to offshore software theft....
:
: I have no experience with small boat cruising in the Caribbean. An
: aquantance of mine is looking into a bareboat charter in the area.
: She was online discussing it with someone that started filling her
: head with concerns about pirates. Sounded like she was really freaked
: by the thought of their boat being boarded by thugs and her and her
: friends being beaten, robbed, raped.... or worse.
:
: She lives in Piedmont - a part of Oakland, CA. I told her she was
: probably more likely to get carjacked in her own neighborhood, than
: hijacked on a boat south of Florida. But I also told her I told her I
: would ask about it.
:
: So what parts of the Caribbean would be considered "high risk" for a
: small group of young adults on a 50-something foot sailboat? I don't
: imagine that the demographic make up of the group or the size of the
: boats makes a difference - but if it does...
:
: While I myself might be prepared to go such a cruise armed in some
: way, I am hesitant, for a couple of reasons, to to suggest to her that
: someone on the trip should have a gun. Primarily, I am concerned that
: saying something like, "maybe you should have a gun on board," would
: make it sound like she should be worried. Secondly, I don't know if
: she or any of her companions know how to handle a gun in such a
: situation.
:
: I don't want this to be a gun issue, but I know someone is going to
: bring it up ... and I'll likely be sorry it was me.
:
: Let me "bottom line" with a general question. What personal security
: risks should be considered for someone considering a bareboat charter
: in the Caribbean?
:
: Thanks in advance.