posted to rec.boats.building
Brian Whatcott Brian Whatcott is offline

Default LF real gimballed compass

mmc wrote:
"max camirand" wrote in message
Hi group,

I'm looking for a real gimballed marine compass, with a flat face
usable with a direction-finder. All of the compasses I've found online
have a hemispherical glass face, which makes them useless for taking a
bearing. I also strongly suspect that hand-held bearing compasses are
useless on a steel boat such as mine.

The only flat-faced gimballed compasses I've found are desk
decorations.

I'm looking for something similar to a real ship's compass, without
the giant compensating balls & bar (I will compensate it with
magnets). Anyone know where they can be bought?

Regards,
-Maxime Camirand

Seem to be a few on ebay
#200412065291
#270495395158
#220521183176
May need to come up with a gimbal, but it'll be a lot cheaper that the 7500
euro job.

For me nothing beats this for shooting a bearing: #140364873863

Marching compasses work well for me too. That one is a replica - so the
accuracy is an unknown. Better to search eBay for "marching compass".
There again, you don't want one that's marked in 0-400 graduations. Good
ol' 0-360 is the way to go!

:-)

Brian W