posted to rec.boats.building
Brian Whatcott Brian Whatcott is offline

Default Epoxy Resin - Non Traditional Uses

Bob La Londe wrote:
Have any of you guys poured epoxy solids?

Encased things in epoxy?

/snip/ When the resin is hard remove the
screws and knock the sides off. Then cut the bottom square and epoxy on
a layer of felt. Any of you guys see any problems with that approach?

The problem I can see is the runaway heating you might get for the
two-part you have on hand which (I assume) is intended for binding glass
etc. That would lead to cracking. People do use water-clear epoxy for
deep glassy layers on table-tops or encapsulating. I am supposing that
is formulated with an eye to avoiding thermal runaway. Perhaps you could
pour two egg cups full, and put one in the fridge to slow the set.
Contrast & compare??

Brian W