posted to rec.boats.building
max camirand max camirand is offline

Default LF real gimballed compass

On Dec 3, 4:42*pm, I am Tosk wrote:

Not dumb at all. It is a skill, you desire to get better at it. It all
just depends on how far you want to go with your sport

I'll keep a handheld GPS onboard in case I get hopelessly lost in an
emergency situation

Otherwise, I'm limiting myself to:
lead line
rotator log
compass
sextant
timepiece
binoculars

I'm a merchant marine officer, so I studied navigation professionally
(both the "old" and "new" ways), and GPS has made the job a boring
button-pushing nightmare. I'd like to get away from that on my yacht.
I have no illusions about "going back to nature" or any garbage like
that. Slocum didn't have an accurate timepiece, while I will have one,
and the Polynesians only had some cleverly marked sticks. It's just
that I love navigation and I feel GPS takes all of the magic away from
making landfall. Going back to the methods of the 1800s will at least
involve some level of skill.

Too bad it's more expensive to do things the traditional way.