posted to rec.boats.building
IanM[_2_] IanM[_2_] is offline

Default LF real gimballed compass

max camirand wrote:
On Dec 3, 1:54 pm, Heikki wrote:
max camirand wrote:
I'm looking for a real gimballed marine compass, with a flat face
usable with a direction-finder.

You don't say where in the world you are. Here in Denmark, my first choice
would be Weilbach in Copenhagen - they've been in the business of compasses,
charts, etc since 1755 or so. I have sailed on a ship that has one of their
compasses, gimballed and with a flat face. Haven't tried with a direction-
finder, but it looks like it ought to work well. Big thing, probably
approved to be used on much bigger ships that ours...

http://www.weilbach.dk/netbutik.asp?...fold4479&l=155

-H

Thanks for the link!
Sorry for the oversight: The boat is in Seattle, USA.
Those compasses look excellent, but they're very expensive. Maybe I
shouldn't have any illusions about getting a good compass for little
money, but I hope I can find a commercial ship outfitter that carries
a decent product at non-yacht prices.

-m

Try this carefully crafted google search
http://www.google.com/search?q=marine+%22grid+compass

Unfortunately I have yet to see one in decent condition at a good enough
price. If you have around $100 you *might* get lucky with a used one

Ships will all be using gyrocompasses or fluxgates now. Your only
chance of beating yachtie pricing would be if you know a shipbreakers
who are currently scrapping an old fishing fleet.

[at]=@, [dash]=- & [dot]=. *Warning* HTML & 32K emails -- NUL: