posted to rec.boats.building
Bob La Londe Bob La Londe is offline

Default Aluminum Hulls

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
No. Aluminum is very reactive. Corrosion will occur for a multitude of
reasons. It is almost unavoidable and when it does, it is FAST, but
ultimately the scantlings of any boat is a product of size and hull
design. Your comment of .125" as heavy duty, that true if the boat doesn't
exceed 18'.
Steve

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
I find it interesting that a lot of the small boat aluminum designs seem
to say the main hull should be 3/16 and yet .100 is used in a heck of a
lot of commercially available small boats. .125 is considered heavy duty.
Is it just CYA?

I've been looking at some of the smallest boats, and there are some with
hulls as thin as .043. Holy cow. No wonder they are riveted. When I was
first practicing aluminum welding I discovered that was below the threshold
for my skills and/or machine. I could make two piece of .043 tube stick
together, but it wasn't pretty.

http://www.trackerboats.com/boat/specs.cfm?boat=3257

Holy cow. Its like tissue paper.