Brian Whatcott Brian Whatcott is offline

Default LORAN Still Worth The Trouble?

Wayne.B wrote:
On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 19:13:48 -0800, Peter Bennett
wrote:

It appears from
http://www.gpsworld.com/gnss-system/...p-loran-c-9087
that Loran-C is likely to discontinue operation on Jan 4, 2010, so
there may be no point in keeping a Loran-C receiver.

I hadn't realized that it might go away that quickly, don't think too
many people are going to miss it however. I get a chuckle from
people claiming that the GPS system is prone to interference. They
obviously never tried navigating with Loran on a dark and stormy night
when the lightning is crashing around you.

Five weeks time? So soon? Me neither! A note sent this month from the
chair of the Senate committee on Homeland Security to the Secretary of
Homeland Security is contained in the pointer below.

http://www.gpsworld.com/gnss-system/...apolitano-9124

Brian W