Peter Bennett Peter Bennett is offline

Default LORAN Still Worth The Trouble?

On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 11:32:40 -0500, "Armond Perretta"
wrote:

I recently removed a Sitex 767c from my small sailing boat with the
intention of putting it into long-term storage. I typically run one of 3 GPS
units which have met my needs in varied situations. They all feed a laptop,
send 0183 data to the radar display, the autopilot, etc., via various
switching methods. They all run on the ship's mains, and 2 of the 3 run on
batteries also. My cruising area has at various times covered the area from
the Maritimes to the northern Caribbean and that's likely to remain the
case. I have read that the US is considering eliminating funding for LORAN
despite the recent buzz about eLORAN and other innovations and this factored
into my removal decision.

It appears from
http://www.gpsworld.com/gnss-system/...p-loran-c-9087
that Loran-C is likely to discontinue operation on Jan 4, 2010, so
there may be no point in keeping a Loran-C receiver.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca