Default "Catting" or "Fish Up" the anchor??

You've got to love this newsgroup. Outside of the Patrick O'Brian
websites, I doubt you'd ever hear this sort of question asked.

R.

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 18:44:05 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

I use to be a Purest but as time goes by and my brains cells absorb more and
more fiberglass fumes, I have slipped to Traditionalist..

With that said, I'm find that I'm lossing track of verious nautical terms
and methods.

I just picked up my (complimentary) Jan/Feb copy of Ocean Navigator and felt
a shiver as I saw the very traditional schooner Wendameen making way while
two seamen deal with the anchor.. "Ahh!" I say to myself, "Catting the
Anchor! Don't see that anymore."

Then I flipped to the Contents page to find out a little more about this
fine looking vessel... In the "Cover:" line I was surprise that the term
"fish up the anchor" was used.. I'm not familiar with that term and I now
wonder it that is a regional term..

I can clearly see that they have a Cathead (of sorts) on the rail so I'm
wondering if the this term relates to the hook and tackle that they are
using..

Oh well, I won't loose any sleep while pondering this question but wonder
what other traditionalists might know..

Steve (boring day in the Pac. NW. )

s/v Good Intentions