Armond Perretta

Default "Catting" or "Fish Up" the anchor??

Steve wrote:

I just picked up my (complimentary) Jan/Feb copy of Ocean Navigator
and felt a shiver as I saw the very traditional schooner Wendameen
making way while two seamen deal with the anchor.. "Ahh!" I say to
myself, "Catting the Anchor! Don't see that anymore."

Then I flipped to the Contents page to find out a little more about
this fine looking vessel... In the "Cover:" line I was surprise
that the term "fish up the anchor" was used.. I'm not familiar with
that term and I now wonder it that is a regional term..

I can clearly see that they have a Cathead (of sorts) on the rail
so I'm wondering if the this term relates to the hook and tackle
that they are using..

I noticed (and liked) the cover myself, especially since I am familiar with
that particular vessel. Also like you Steve, I am interested in
nomenclature and was not quite familiar with "fishing the anchor." However
a quick "Google" gives quite a few hits for the terminology and some
expanded explanations.

BTW on one of my first cruises along the Maine coast years ago I carried a
fisherman as well as several other styles of anchors. Didn't use it once,
and so I discontinued shipping that particular anchor. Then during the
summer of 2002 I ended up in 2 or 3 anchorages along the east coast of Nova
Scotia that were by and large just flat rock bottoms. I could barely get
the CQR to hold, and really wished I'd had the fisherman. Shows to go ya.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat