Chris[_4_] Chris[_4_] is offline

Default washing fruits and vegetables

On Nov 19, 7:04 am, brian whatcott wrote:
Chris wrote:
... FDA or CDC websites for more accurate
information. Bleach and peroxide were mentioned, and they are probably
good. I have also heard that potassium permanganate is also effective,
but it might be harder to get a hold of.

Good luck,

Chris

All strong oxidizers. I think potassium permanganate, that former
favorite of chemistry sets for kids, is now discouraged as carcinogenic

Brian W

Wikipedia (I know, not always the best source) has this:

"Almost all applications of potassium permanganate exploit its
oxidizing properties.[2] As a strong oxidant that does not generate
toxic byproducts, KMnO4 has many niche uses."

and this:

"As an oxidant, potassium permanganate can act as a disinfectant. For
example, dilute solutions are used to treat canker sores (ulcers),
disinfectant for the hands and treatment for mild pompholyx,
dermatitis,[4][5] and fungal infections of the hands or feet.[6]
Potassium permanganate, obtainable at pool supply stores, is used in
rural areas to remove iron and hydrogen sulfide (rotten egg smell)
from well and waste water. Historically it was used to disinfect
drinking water.[7]"

Chris