cavelamb cavelamb is offline

Default Joe loves me )

Bruce In Bangkok wrote:
On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 09:29:20 -0600, cavelamb
wrote:

Bruce In Bangkok wrote:
On Sun, 22 Nov 2009 02:01:26 -0600, cavelamb
wrote:

Bruce In Bangkok wrote:
On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 13:32:51 -0600, cavelamb
wrote:

Bruce In Bangkok wrote:
The best method of sailing close hauled is START THE MOTOR :-!

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)
Motor?

You have a MOTOR?

Huh! Maybe I out to get one of those!?!
Picky, picky. All right - ENGINE :-)

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)
It's ok, Bruce.
Not being picky - just jelousy.
I have an outboard.

I sail faster, but power?

Well, we do sail faster!

This is the new boat your were talking about a couple of years ago?

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

No, that one fell through.

Dorothy's uncle passed away and she was supposed to inherit his
Hunter. But the kids threw a fuss (none of them wanted the boat -
just the money) and it didn't happen.

This one, "Temptress", is a much smaller Catalina Capri 26 that I
bought last year.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~capri26/

We are hoping to move her down to the coast (that's Galveston Bay
area) in the spring and wander down the coast a ways - maybe get sea sick
and puke a lot - and hopefully have fun anyway.

Richard

Thus the confusion. I remembered the "hope we get it" messages and
then there was the "New boat" sort of stuff and somehow I mentally
tied them together and envisioned you floating about in a larger boat.
Nice looking little boat though.

Frankly I would assume that with the rather restricted deck forward
you would be enthusiastically installing a furler.

By the way, where do you stow the dinghy when cruising? If on the
foredeck it adds even more reason to have a furler :-)

Cheers,

Bruce
(bruceinbangkokatgmaildotcom)

Thanks for remembering, Bruce!

Yeah - we were pretty disappointed.
The boat was a 38 foot Hunter - light for it's size, and not particularly
pretty but what the heck!? It was only a few years old and the price for sure
was right! Then it went for 25% market value - and no, we didn't get a chance
to bid on it. Bummer.

So I went looking for a boat I could afford to buy my own bad self!

I've sailed Catalina 27s and 28s and liked them.
This 26 has considerably more room below (10 feet beam) and sails as well
(or better?). It's a Frank Butler design and I suspect the transition
between the old Catalina line and the new (3 digit) boats.
I think they used it to work out the new design and construction techniques.

We actually do have a foredeck! A very roomy one too.
More so than the old Catalina lines did.

I've been looking at that space thinking about loading and
carrying a dinghy there. It looks "do-able" - for a small dink.

Problem is that I want a larger dinghy than will comfortably fit.
An 8 foot Walker Bay with the rid collar?
Or a 10 foot - same.
That's just to carry two people and a weight of supplies.

I've seen one towed (hang on a sec!) towed backwards with the transom elevated
and hung on the stern rail with only the bow in the water. It is basically an
articulation of the main boat - not following on a rope.

But with only 3'3" draft, we should be in close enough that maybe a smaller
dinghy would serve ok?

More learnin' to come...