Brian Whatcott

Default Inverter Size

If the brick input requirement is 100-240 volts at 109 VA, use a 12
volt to 120 volt inverter rated 250 watts output for a rugged service
life. It will probably take about 10 amps on a 14 volt source like a
cigar lighter. Your car should fuse the cigar lighter at this
current (10A) or maybe 15 amps. You start up the inverter with the PC
off to stagger the startup surge. You could still be unlucky, if the
brick is switching low on the sine wave.

Brian W

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 16:45:01 GMT, "Fred Miller"
wrote:

Slightly Off topic but I know someone here can answer the question.

I am trying to run a Dell Inspiron 5100 in my truck using a small inverter
but all I do is blow fuses in the truck. This is a 6 month old Chev 1500 in
excellent condition.

My "brick" 110 V power supply reads:

AC 100-240 V - 103-109 VA 50-60Hz
DC 20 V 4.5 A

What size inverter in watts do I need to use with this power supply?
Can a cigar lighter outlet supply the required power?

TIA for your help.