Padeen

Default FRS / GMRS Radio FCC licensing

Well, "Me", what a nice Christmas attitude you project, and to the whole
world! Ignorance can be solved with education; I doubt there is such a
simple cure for your clearly displayed malady.

"Me" wrote in message
In article ,
"Keith" wrote:

Well, I got a nice little Christmas present, a pair of Motorola T4500

FRS
(or so I thought) radios. Seems that these broadcast on both the FRS

(Family
Radio Service) channels and the newer GMRS (General Mobile Radio

Service)
frequencies.

When FRS came out, they were nice little radios that didn't require a
license, and had a good range, relatively inexpensive, etc. Of course,
somebody couldn't leave good enough, so they came out with the GMRS
frequencies. The radios use a higher power on the GMRS frequencies.

Well guess what? To be strictly legal, you have to get a license for

these
new GMRS frequencies. $75 for 5 years from the FCC, you have to fill out
forms 605 and 159. Now, I can of course operate these radios on channels
8-14 ONLY without a license and be legal, because these are the old FRS
frequencies. Sheesh, the license is more than the radios!

Now how many folks who got these for Christmas do you think are going to
apply for an FCC license? Sure reminds me of the old CB radio days. Just
another taxation scheme.

If you actually knew what you were talking about you would be DANGEROUS.
GMRS predates FRS by only about 30 years. FRS is an unlisensed Service
because the power of the radio's is small. GMRS Radios have more power
and therefor are capable of interfering with other radio systems that
SHARE the same frequencies. This is why they are LICENSED, so that if
you interfere with someone else's LICENSED system, they can identify you
and get you to STOP. If you aren't capable of filling out the LICENSE
FORM or can't AFFORD the fee, then you need to stay on FRS or CB where
Mooron's belong.

me