Larry W4CSC

Default Inverter Size

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 16:45:01 GMT, "Fred Miller"
wrote:

Slightly Off topic but I know someone here can answer the question.

I am trying to run a Dell Inspiron 5100 in my truck using a small inverter
but all I do is blow fuses in the truck. This is a 6 month old Chev 1500 in
excellent condition.

My "brick" 110 V power supply reads:

AC 100-240 V - 103-109 VA 50-60Hz
DC 20 V 4.5 A

What size inverter in watts do I need to use with this power supply?
Can a cigar lighter outlet supply the required power?

TIA for your help.

109VA = Volt-Amperes = about 110 watts, give or take a few. You need
at least a 150 watt inverter, 300's are cheap and more useful and
won't be overloaded. I recommend the 300 watt Tripplite by name
because anything plugged into a Tripplite anything has a $50K
insurance policy plugged into it. A piece of Chinese crap from the
Shack does not. I've never had a Tripplite product fail, for any
reason. There's a 500W inverter that regularly goes into overload
running my stepvan shop out on the road, every day. If I can't tear
it up, you can't either.....(c; Tripplites are the best, hands down.

Now, let's talk about those durn fuses!

120 watts at 12 Volts is 120/12 = 10 Amps. How big was that fuse?
The 300 watt inverter needs about 360/12 = 30 amps at full
load....leaving a little to keep the fuse from blowing just because
you tried to start something.

Look at the fuse on the inverter, itself. If it has a 30A
fuse.....the circuit it plugs into must also have 30 amps of capacity
and a 30A fuse, too! Sound logical?

If the inverter blows the fuse with nothing plugged into it, even a 5A
fuse....IT'S TOAST! Time to junk the Chinese crap and go buy one of
those slick Tripplite inverters I've never been able to trash!....

Larry W4CSC

NNNN