Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default Joe loves me )

"Edgar" wrote in message

"cavelamb" wrote in message
..
.
snipped

Still going back and forth on the head sail question.

To roll or not to roll...
this is my first roller, and I'm not completely in love with it.
It works as advertised, but I'm not convinced I want to keep it.

Tell us why. My last boat had hanked-on foresails and I have had times
when I was nearly losing the sail and myself overboard trying to change
jibs in a gale in the dark.
Now I have a roller I would never go back to the former system. Mine is a
Profurl and it is very strong and I have never had a problem furling by
hauling the furling line by hand, but it is better to avoid the more
lightly built ones that tell you that you must never use a winch on the
furling line. You never know when you might just have to.

I've never had a problem with my Schaefer either, never used the winch and
they, as all companies I know, tell you not to do it. I've furled a sail on
a 60' boat with no effort greater than arm power. If you need a winch,
you're doing something wrong or there's a jam.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com