Joe Joe is offline

Default Wurkin in the oil patch

On Nov 19, 12:35*pm, Frogwatch wrote:
Someone here mentioned doing offshore oil work and I worked on drill
rigs in Wyoming when I was younger so thought it might be just what my
19 yr old son needs to get his head screwed on straight. *Make some
money, see what real work is, see how rough people can really be and
THEN go to college.
So, found him the ideal job, no experience needed, 20 days on 10 off,
they pay for room and board while on, reasonable pay, work on rear
deck of boats setting anchors for drill rigs. *They actually need
people. *Went home and told my son to go online and apply.
"NO WAY, I dont want to do that", he says. *"You just want to get rid
of me". *To which I say, "Yeah, and so what, it's good money and you
are hardly earning anything right now".
He resists saying he's taking classes at community college and does
earn some money but I say 6 hours a semester is BS. *I tell my wife
about this job and she sides with him saying "if he goes off on one of
those boats he'll lose his gf, you know how hard it was when you did
that stuff". *I think, being only 19, he needs to lose the gf so I am
going to apply more pressure.

Setting anchors is mighty dangerious work, and being on deck is ground
zero.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b38woxy6IRc

A roustabout on a rig or deck hand on a supply or crewboat would be a
safer first step. He could also find a 4 point anchor boat or a
standby boat and work with the old men, and jr deckhands.

Being gone 20 days will test his relationship. He will find out if
his gf is for real or not.

Good Luck

Joe