Rick & Linda Bernard

Default Inverter Size

I would think that 20V * 4.5A = 90 watts. Small inverters are not real
efficient (some even have a fan) and the "brick" is not to efficent either
so:

Input power may be more like 90/.75 = 120 watts due to the efficiency of the
"brick".

and 120/0.75 = 160 watts for the inverter.

160 watts / 12 volts = 13 amps (are you fuzed for 10A? Probably need 20A)

This seems quite high. I run a inspiron (old style 266MHz) which only draws
about 5 amps on 12 vDC through an inverter and brick. Kind of cycles
between 2.5A to 5A. It could be all that horsepower of the 5100. Try
slowing it's CPU down (if possible) or at least charging up the batteries
prior to plugging it in.

By the way I use a Prowatt 250 or a real smaller one (size wise with fan -
whole thing plugs into the lighter) rated at 175W.

"Fred Miller" wrote in message
Slightly Off topic but I know someone here can answer the question.

I am trying to run a Dell Inspiron 5100 in my truck using a small inverter
but all I do is blow fuses in the truck. This is a 6 month old Chev 1500

in
excellent condition.

My "brick" 110 V power supply reads:

AC 100-240 V - 103-109 VA 50-60Hz
DC 20 V 4.5 A

What size inverter in watts do I need to use with this power supply?
Can a cigar lighter outlet supply the required power?

TIA for your help.