Jere Lull

Default UV degradation of Walker Bay dinghies?

Albert P. Belle Isle wrote:

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 23:42:53 GMT, wrote:

Porta-bote 8 footer is 50 pounds! When set up, it is the same general size as a
Walker bay. When folded, it gives you a whole new set of possibilities for where
and how to store it.

Aha!.

I had missed the 8-foot version, as most people seem to have a
10-footer. Maybe I'd better take another look at the Porta-Bote.

I understand that it rows pretty well, and an 8 footer would fit on
top of the forward part of the coach roof, but only be 4 _inches_ in
height, rather than 2 feet.

We're a bit smaller: 27'7" LOA and carry a 12.5' PortaBote. Rows
wonderfully and takes up essentially no space since it can be walked on
with impunity. It's our starboard side deck, for all intents and
purposes. (some of it is outside of our lifelines.) After something like
8 years, no failure.

It weights more, but can be dumped over the side with only one seat and
the transom in place, which makes it slightly lighter. I launch and
retrieve by myself, using a halyard when I'm feeling lazy.

Because it rows so well, we don't even bother bringing the outboard any
more. A half-mile row is simply good exercise, though I hate to row ANY
dink into a headwind for very long.

I did see one posting from someone who had a 10-foot Porta-Bote which
sounded like it shed little bits of itself and otherwise looked pretty
bedraggled after a few years.

I haven't seen that post, but ours is in fine (though sun-damaged) shape
even though I've done nothing to it (other than its yearly wash) over
the years. The black tubing will leave marks on the mothership, but I'm
told that can be cured with some bronze wool and Son-of-a-gun. We stow
the seats and transom below decks. I suppose the foam on the seats would
degrade if stored in the sun.

Can anyone comment on quality of construction? I know that a 0.25"
sheet of the basic material is extremely tough stuff. My question is
more "form, fit and finish."

We still don't have leaks; haven't heard anyone that has. The boat isn't
purty, but it's tough as nails. I put a few gouges in it over the years
by dragging it over sharp things, but they're merely cosmetic.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's Pages: