Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Interesting export to Louisiana

On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 05:52:50 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

On Nov 18, 5:15Â*am, Tom Francis - SWSports
wrote:
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 15:50:54 -0800 (PST), Tim
wrote:

On Nov 17, 9:37Â*am, Tom Francis - SWSports
wrote:
On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 11:14:27 -0400, "Don White"

wrote:
http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1153166.html

That is very cool.

When I attended LSU, I took a course in Cajun history and there was a
visiting professor presiding. Â*He was from France and was at LSU to
learn "country" French. Â*Apparently, there are only two places in the
world where original French, not Parisian French, is spoken - the
Cajun country of Louisiana and Nova Scotia. Â*He was studying the
differences and dialects (apparently there are five - can't remember
them all).

Interesting huh?

That does seem odd, Tom, because French is spoken all over the world
with different dialectics. Like French Guiana and Paraguay in South
America and as you well know, with various blends in SE Asia.

I wondr how much "country french" he was looking for?

Country as in rural areas fudge brain. Â*:)

Tom, I can barely type and you want me to digest all that?

Most languages have variations of this.
Original speakers of a language are isolated by geography, and as the
language moves on elsewhere, they don't.
Probably in a hundred years they'll be studying the people of
Collinsville to figure out what the word "grits" means.

--Vic