Jere Lull

Default Through-hull question

wrote:

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 01:35:52 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

I don't lube our ball valves, but open and close them every time we
sail. After 10 seasons' use, none show any problems.

Same here. Aren't you in salt, though?

Not full salt this far up the Chesapeake, though it's fairly high
content. Under certain circumstances the growth can be worse than salt:
One year, we moored the previous boat in 1-3' of still water; just
enough to float the boat at the lower low tides. Got nearly 2" of growth
on new paint by the end of June. Was a particularly warm season and the
water by the shore was positively hot. I believe that was the year we
measured 90 degree surface temps in mid May. At least we don't get zebra
mussels.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's Pages: