Rosalie B.

Default ssb or satelite phone

x-no-archive:yes

(Larry W4CSC) wrote:

Here in Charleston, where the boys died on the S/V "Morning Dew", one
only needs to mention calling the MEDIA to get a response.....(c;

Actually, while I was in Charleston, they brought in a guy who'd been
working on a DNR boat and had a heart attack. The DNR boat (which was
about 45 minutes out) called the CG and the CG refused to send a helo.
So he was dead when they brought him in. (I got the part about the CG
refusing to send a helo from the Patriot's Point dockmaster
(Charleston Harbor Marina) - I was in the office downloading email at
the time that it happened. So I don't know about media getting a
response or else no one played that card.

Incidentally you can have free internet access in that marina via a
wireless network.

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 18:15 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
(Mike Cobbe) wrote:

asked the CG if I could contact them via SSB and
they said no, they did not support SSB frequencies.

How odd. It seems the US CG only monitors the SSB DSC frequencies, not
voice or telex. However, since they have to respond to SSB DSC, eventually
with voice, they must have the voice kit. Surely they would be in breach
of the GMDSS rules if they didn't?

Plan B is mention 'drugs shipment' on 2182 - that should get a
response...couple of cutters, frigate, helicopter carrier ;-))

Mike

Larry W4CSC

NNNN

grandma Rosalie