Default Through-hull question

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 01:35:52 GMT, Jere Lull wrote:

wrote:

Our gate valves were replaced by "marine" ball cocks 11 years ago. Much
later, I found out that the "better" Home Depot ball valves were identical.

Yes, those are the ones I've installed.

BUT there are more-proper "seacock" versions of the ball valves that
bolt to/through the hull that you'll only find at the chandlry.

I know, and if I was offshore, I wouldn't consider anything else. In
fact, I'd opt for strum boxes, a single seacock with valves to
elsewhere, and standpipes when feasible. Too many holes in the hull
equals too many potential problems, I think.

changed out our engine intake to one because it's not protected against
hard knocks, but the innards are identical to the ball valves: chromed
brass or copper ball in a brass body (I forget). Thus, we don't bond our
sea cocks.

Same here. Don't like the colour pink in a metal G

I don't lube our ball valves, but open and close them every time we
sail. After 10 seasons' use, none show any problems.

Same here. Aren't you in salt, though?

R.