Mark Borgerson Mark Borgerson is offline

Default Potential FAQ for Flying Pig visitors

In article , says...
Comments, please...

SNIP
What should I bring?

1: As above, linens. We suggest about three changes of clothing (unless
you want to be bathing-suited most of the time, as we are) plus, perhaps,
extra underwear, and at least two bathing suits (one on the line, drying,
the other to wear). Something to keep you dry if things get messy
weatherwise, as in #2 in "What will I do aboard?". Mostly, other than
coming from a very cold climate, and you need something for your return, you
won't need much in the way of "warm" clothing, because we're mostly in warm
areas. Sometimes it might get to 50 degrees F, but that's rare. Life aboard
isn't very different from camping in regard to clothing, otherwise.

2: Snorkeling gear to suit, if you want to do that. We have several spare
pairs of flippers and a few masks and snorkels available aboard, but can't
guarantee that they'd fit you. If you're experienced, already, likely you
have something you'd prefer, in any event. Those items will generally live
in the dinghy until you leave, so it's not a space issue once you're aboard.

3: Books to suit you. We have a fairly extensive library aboard, but it
may not all appeal to you. Our books are mystery, marine (about boating)
and classical ("great literature") in nature. For both this and #1, we have
bins to store stuff, as well as the closet, in your cabin. However, you
should bring any "stuff" in soft luggage which can be compressed or
otherwise made to fit in unusually shaped space so as to reserve as much as
possible for your stuff you want out of the soft luggage. Generally
speaking, something which would travel as carry-on luggage on the airline,
for each of you, will easily fit in the space you have available to you.
And, just to relieve your mind somewhat, while duffels are certainly the
preference, the closet is substantial and will easily handle a wheeled
pull-behind.

3: Money to suit your lifestyle as relates to stuff to buy, of any sort.
Your time aboard is "on us" as above, but you may wish to buy stuff to take
home, do any ashore-adventure stuff other than our walkabouts mentioned, and
the like.

4: Camera(s) - surface and underwater, if you have them. We can download
any digital images you have for backup, if you like.

5: Laptop(s) if you simply can't be without them. When we have internet
connectivity, we have a router aboard which will give you access. We turn
off the AC power (like at-home plugs - we're not ENTIRELY backwoods) when we
aren't using the computers, but you can keep your batteries up. Likewise, if
you use rechargeable batteries in your phone/camera/whatever, we have the
power available when we're running the computer, as Skip's screen requires
AC.

6: Various items we might have to ask you to buy for us, which we'll of
course pay you for, because they're either not available where we are, or
exhorbitantly costly, or are emergency parts.

7. Binoculars. When I'm piloting around the Pacific Northwest, with
lots of buoys, rocks, and deadheads to keep track of, I like to have
my own set of "captain's binoculars", that are adjusted for my eyes.
I don't want to have them be up on the foredeck watching seals or birds
just at the time I'm wondering about the size of a piece of driftwood in
our path. When chartering, I always take my Fujinons with the built-in
compass and neck-strap flotation. The binoculars on charter boats can
run from beat-up Bushnell to well-preserved Zeiss. Bringing your own
can mean more people get to ogle the orcas before they disappear.
Additionally, general viewing may not require the weight and size of
7x50 binoculars that are best for low-light navigation.

SNIP

Mark Borgerson