Skip Gundlach

Default Cold comfort

"JJ" wrote in message
It's all relative - some wind gens are extremely loud, and some and
just loud - but they're all too ****ing loud for a quiet anchorage -
day or night - or more likely - day AND night. You might think it's
your "right" to add "quiet" noise to an anchorage - but you're wrong.

I've not done enough checking to say with any certainty on a blanket level,
but I can cite three anecdotal instances where there were wind generators
and I was totally unaware of any noise. Mind you, I'm not saying they
*didn't* make any noise. I am, however, saying I couldn't hear any.

Case 1: We were anchored for a weekend in the Road Harbor bay, not far from
the Tortola Marine Management touted in this group on occasion by those who
have used them. We were immediately adjacent to a boat which had *2* wind
generators. Since there was a pretty good breeze that weekend, they were
going a mile a minute. We didn't hear a thing. It was impressive enough
that I took many pictures of it, just to be sure that that was the kind *we*
got. They weren't KISS, I don't think, as that was 2 years ago, and this
was a very much older boat. Was it the wind level that made them inaudible?
I don't know. If it's blowing hard enough to make the noise they generate
inaudible, they're also generating a lot of juice. If it's not (blowing
that hard - and therefore they're turning slower), they'd probably be
quieter. Either way, I can say for certain that they were not an intrusion
to an anchorage.

Case 2: The Mason on which we offered ("We Bought A Boat - But We Gave It
Back" seen in this space recently) had wind on it. It was not a
particularly windy day, but it, too, was inaudible. I'm sure that, even had
I not noticed at the time, my very sensitive video mike would have picked up
noticeable noise. There wasn't any.

Case 3: One of the two highly rehabbed Morgan 46s I saw on this recent trip
had wind on the mizzen. No apparent sound as it flew around - even with my
zoom mike (my video increases the sensitivity of the mike as it zooms the
visual)..

I agree that I have heard noisy wind generators. But there are at least
three in my video archives which I know should be acceptable to any. None
of them are KISS, about which I've read good things...

I'll continue my intent to have both wind and solar, both of which, had I to
park next to a noisy one, are preferable to a generator, regardless of how
noisy they were.

L8R

Skip

didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away
from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
Discover." - Mark Twain