Flying Pig[_2_] Flying Pig[_2_] is offline

Default Potential FAQ for Flying Pig visitors

Hi, Rosalie, and group,

"Rosalie B." wrote in message
"Flying Pig" wrote:

Comments, please...

How is life aboard Flying Pig different from my life ashore?

1: Flying Pig is a boat. Aside from times in the boatyard, where it's up
on stilts on shore, it's in constant motion. This takes some getting used
to, but most accommodate it very well.

If you know you get seasick and have a remedy that works for you, be
sure to bring it. We (that is Bob and I) have ginger aboard which
works for some folks, but I will not supply prescription medication to
guests (or anyone). Bob's preferred remedy is to have the seasick
person take the wheel and to eat saltines. I personally prefer to
have hot tea and sleep through it

I cover seasickness in a different section; we've found Stugeron to be VERY
effective, and non-drowsy/eye impairing. If one of our guests knew in
advance that they were subject to seasickness, likely they'd already have
developed their own coping skills and meds...

4: Accomodations, for a boat, are generous, but very small by home
standards. The best place on the boat for sleeping in "normal" (not rough
seas) weather is in what's called the VEE berth, so called because of its
shape. It's a 7-foot equilateral triangle, and accomodates most "normal"
sized couples handily, though, of necessity, the feet tend to be touching

We always slept the other way - with our heads close together at the
pointy end. Of course that means that the reading light is at our
feet.

Ya, but that's because of your layout. You couldn't effectively sleep the
other way, if I recall your aft cabin setup. In the vee, most would prefer
the biscuit in, or, in any event, if not, their feet would be at the pointy
end. In your boat, you have the advantage of it not coming to a point where
your shoulders are :{))

Bob has a lee cloth for the single bunk in the main cabin so he can
sleep there if it is rough and I'm at the helm. I personally lie down
on the floor next to the mast (assuming a keel stepped mast). If it
is just ordinary rolling, and he's at the helm, I just sleep
crossways in the aft cabin.

Our pull-out is our lee-cloth place, too, though not in its extended
position. In our roughest times we've never felt the need to use it. We do
have a KS mast, and the sole is a possibility, too.

3: Because fresh water is at such a premium both in amount we can carry,
availability/difficulty of transport and/or cost, we normally bathe in the
sea.

We carry so much water (400 gallons) that with the two of us it is
hard to use enough to keep it fresh, so we don't generally conserve
that much. We CAN, but generally don't.

We've never had a freshness issue, even when it's been RO water (most of the
time it arrives chlorinated if we're refilling at a fuel dock, but in the
Bahamas, that's rare, even if we've not had to jug it), for which we're very
thankful. Our full-up condition is about 325G, and we're into the forward
tank, now, which has been there for over 2 months; still fresh.

We just use washers in marinas when required.

We never see marinas :{)) other than for fuel...

10: Related to #9, and just generally, as it's our preference, as we're
predominantly in very warm (not uncomfortably so) climates, we tend to
wear
very little clothing,

I was told when we first chartered a boat in the Virgin Islands, that
I should not sit around in a wet bathing suit as I would have skin
problems. I found that is true.

Thus the admonition to have at least two, one for the line and the one
you're sitting around in fresh.

Bob insists that we wear shoes at all times when on deck for safety
reasons. Proper shoes really are more non-skid than feet. (I have
tested this myself.) If I didn't know that shoes were more slip
resistant, I wouldn't wear them. Bob does have more tender feet than
I do and he can't stand to walk on the non-skid on the deck, plus he's
broken toes in the past so he wears shoes in places that I go
barefoot, but I do as he wishes in to wearing shoes on deck.

Also we wear SOSpender type life jackets at all times when underway
and insist that all guests do the same.

Excellent additons, though we'd cover that in our briefing sessions when
they arrive. We discuss "boat bites" of which the majority for most
visitors will be toes (not too many hit their heads like I do,
predominantly, these days, as I've managed to habitually miss the others
which used to get me, door frames if I happen to be standing right next to
one before I set off somewhere else. In motion [getting up a head of steam
before the door] I never get them any more). We do harnesses unless we know
we're going to have to be on deck, and have 5 SOSpenders with integrated
harnesses aboard for such situations.

You might also mention that male guests might do better with getting
urine in the toilet if they sit on the toilet seat rather than try to
hold on to keep their balance while trying to aim.

We do demand that all guests sit, for safety reasons as well as sanitation,
in our orientation on marine toilets. However, I'll add that to the toilet
discussion in the FAQ so it's not a surprise.

Thanks for the reminders.

L8R

Skip

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC

(and)
"There is no such thing as a problem without a gift for you in
its hand
(Richard Bach)