Steve Christensen

Default UV degradation of Walker Bay dinghies?

In article , Albert P. Belle Isle
says...

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 23:42:53 GMT, wrote:

Porta-bote 8 footer is 50 pounds! When set up, it is the same general size as a
Walker bay. When folded, it gives you a whole new set of possibilities for where
and how to store it.

Aha!.

I had missed the 8-foot version, as most people seem to have a
10-footer. Maybe I'd better take another look at the Porta-Bote.

I understand that it rows pretty well, and an 8 footer would fit on
top of the forward part of the coach roof, but only be 4 _inches_ in
height, rather than 2 feet.

We have two of the 8' Porta-Botes: one of the original double enders, and one
of the newer models with the square transoms. We bought the 8' new model as a
dink for our Ericson 38, in part because we wanted a dink that would take an
outboard (which the old 8 footer wouldn't really do) and because the 9 1/2 foot
folded length fit perfectly along our cabin house inside the shrouds.

BUT, I now regret getting the 8' model, as it's just too small, even for a
couple. We usually have my wife sit on the floor of the boat on extended trips
to better balance the boat. Unless you really can't store the extra length I
would strongly suggest getting the 10 foot version.

Not that the 8 footer doesn't work fine. We've used ours quite extensively with
our Honda 2 hp outboard, taking trips as long as 18 nm (round trip) from our
anchorage.

Steve Christensen