DaveH

Default Questions on Radar

In resonse to question 2, there are two reasons to look at higher power
radars. One is to check for weather at long ranges, the other is that high
power radars can produce better imaging of targets which have a weak return,
such as kayaks, etc.

You are correct that you cannot see targets at the surface of the water very
far out. Radars advertise their range for the same reason computers
advertise their CPU clock speed. It's a hard number that's easy to
understand.

Dave

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in message
Hi,

Considering buying a radar, so I have a few questions:

1. On a sailboat, where do you put the display? I rarely steer from behind

the
wheel, mainly by sitting on one of the gunwales beside the wheel, or

sometimes
by Otto while hiding from the rain under the dodger (hence the

name... ).

2. Realistically, how far do you set the max range? I'm seeing that unless

mount the antenna up the mast, I'm not gonna get more than maybe 10 miles

range
no matter what unit I buy. Then again, if I see a freighter steaming at 30
knots, 10 miles away, I still have 20 minutes to do something. Is a

20-mile
range worth getting?

3. Do you trust yours enough to use it instead of a "watch" (ie watch the

radar
screen instead of where you're going)? Trying to decide if getting a radar

will
increase my cruising time significantly (ie more confidence in running at

night)

4. I see a "guard zone alarm" but no "constant-bearing alarm". Why not?

wouldn't
a constant-bearing alarm be far more useful (and not that hard to

implement)?

5. I'm looking at the Furuno 1623 or 1712, or the JRC 1000. I have a

Furuno
GP-31 GPS and I'm impressed by the quality (also, probably 90% of

commercial
boats around here have Furuno radars). Any comments?

6. Is it worth while to mount the antenna up the mast, or should I use a
"dedicated" mast at the transom?

That's all for now...dreaming on a dull winter's day...

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36