Geoffrey W. Schultz

Default Questions on Radar

"Lloyd Sumpter" wrote in
:
1. On a sailboat, where do you put the display?

I have my display right at the wheel so that you have no problem seeing
it from where you're steering. I have my chart plotter, a NorthStar
961, mounted right there too. I've never understood people who mount
their radar by the nav station. Maybe a second head, but you need to be
able to interpert all of the data being presented to you in one
location. Maybe others can do this, but I want everything where I am
using it.

Here's a photo of the wheel, chart plotter and radar (lower left)
http://www.geoffschultz.org/1999_Sailing/1999_01
_FtLauderdale_Captiva/990104_keylargo_marathon/imagepages/image5.htm

And here's a photo of the display lit at night.

http://www.geoffschultz.org/1998_Sai...h_Florida/Day_
14/imagepages/image6.htm

2. Realistically, how far do you set the max range?

I normally keep it on the 4 to 8 nm range. For weather tracking I bump
it out to 12+ miles, which is about it's max range.

3. Do you trust yours enough to use it instead of a "watch"

As virtually everyone has said, you need a pair of eyes. The watch is
good to provide another set, but someone has to be watching and
listening.

4. I see a "guard zone alarm" but no "constant-bearing alarm".

Quite often when you're in seas or gusty conditions I find that the
boat isn't tracking 100% on the same course (Perhaps an understatement).
As a result, the bearing to the target is changing and needs a human
interperation of what's going on.

6) Mounting

I have a transom mounted radar pole. That works fine, but I'd rather
have it up the mast and have it gimbled.

-- Geoff

Hi,

Considering buying a radar, so I have a few questions:

1. On a sailboat, where do you put the display? I rarely steer from
behind the wheel, mainly by sitting on one of the gunwales beside the
wheel, or sometimes by Otto while hiding from the rain under the
dodger (hence the name... ).

2. Realistically, how far do you set the max range? I'm seeing that
unless I mount the antenna up the mast, I'm not gonna get more than
maybe 10 miles range no matter what unit I buy. Then again, if I see a
freighter steaming at 30 knots, 10 miles away, I still have 20 minutes
to do something. Is a 20-mile range worth getting?

3. Do you trust yours enough to use it instead of a "watch" (ie watch
the radar screen instead of where you're going)? Trying to decide if
getting a radar will increase my cruising time significantly (ie more
confidence in running at night)

4. I see a "guard zone alarm" but no "constant-bearing alarm". Why
not? wouldn't a constant-bearing alarm be far more useful (and not
that hard to implement)?

5. I'm looking at the Furuno 1623 or 1712, or the JRC 1000. I have a
Furuno GP-31 GPS and I'm impressed by the quality (also, probably 90%
of commercial boats around here have Furuno radars). Any comments?

6. Is it worth while to mount the antenna up the mast, or should I use
a "dedicated" mast at the transom?

That's all for now...dreaming on a dull winter's day...

Lloyd Sumpter
"Far Cove" Catalina 36