Rosalie B.

Default Cruising Bahamas

x-no-archive:yes

"Doug Dotson" wrote:

Why didin't you say so. If Bob doesn't want to go
then that's it. WX windows are just a fact of life, we
had to wait 6 weeks last year. But six weeks anchored
in Lake Worth beats anything up here in Maryland.

We haven't been to Lake Worth since our first trip down - we avoid
that whole area and just wait in Ft. Pierce until we can get offshore
to Miami. (Our daughter and grandchildren live in Miami, and we kind
of like Miami.) We would never leave to go to the Bahamas from that
far north anyway - our boat is too slow.

I can agree that the Bahamas aren't that great. But
again aren't that bad. You made it sound like
the fee and reentry changes are the reasons you chose

The fee and the re-entry changes ARE the reasons Bob has chosen not to
go this year. And maybe a bit because of his heart attack two years
ago, but that is completely unexpressed, so I may be altogether wrong
about that. I still have some level of anxiety from that which causes
me to keep asking him what he's doing or does he feel OK which
irritates him - so if I think of it in time, I try not to ask those
questions.

I'm somewhat less comfortable in lively conditions than I was before,
and I didn't really like them before.

not to go this year. Just those items are an unfortunate
fact of life and a minor inconvenience. We anchor out most
of the time and rarely stay at marinas as well. Nobody
ever made fun of us for it. Just the opposite actually.

You've got it backwards - we stay in marinas almost all the time and
people think we spend too much money that way. (Not that it is any of
their business really.)

They wish they had the skill and confidence to do it and
save all the money we did.

Doug
s/v Callista

We anchor out pretty much all the time so marina costs
are not much concern.

"Doug Dotson" wrote:

Rosalie,

Why are you depriving yourself of one of the finer points
of life just for a few extra dollars and a few extra procedures
to comply with? Your protest affects no one but yourself.
Life is too short.

BOb doesn't want to go. Therefore, I'm not going.

There's a lot of hassle to going to the Bahamas (I mean finding a
weather window etc.), and I just don't like the Bahamas THAT much that
I'm willing to put up with the extra fee, and the extra hassle on
coming back.

Some folks kind of look down on us because we don't anchor out every
night but spend money on marinas. And here you are telling me it's
just a few extra dollars. As I said - we could probably afford the
fee if that was all it was.

"Jerry" wrote:

Hopefully it will keep some of the rift-raft out.

I'm sorry you feel that way about us. We aren't going this year --

but in our case it's more because of the new 'homeland security'
regulations in regard to immigration than to the Bahamas entry fees
although that is a part of it too. I think the new regulations are
stupid and because they do not increase security at all but just
penalize the honest people I'm not willing to go to jail or be fined
to demonstrate that it IS stupid. I just don't know how to get
through the institutionalized stupidity.

"RWKxxx" wrote in message

We plan to go around the 10th of January

I am sorry to see anyone going to the Bahamas as long as they have

that
ridicules $300 entry free in place. It will be corrected only when
enough
people stay away.

grandma Rosalie