Albert P. Belle Isle

Default UV degradation of Walker Bay dinghies?

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 23:42:53 GMT, wrote:

Porta-bote 8 footer is 50 pounds! When set up, it is the same general size as a
Walker bay. When folded, it gives you a whole new set of possibilities for where
and how to store it.

Aha!.

I had missed the 8-foot version, as most people seem to have a
10-footer. Maybe I'd better take another look at the Porta-Bote.

I understand that it rows pretty well, and an 8 footer would fit on
top of the forward part of the coach roof, but only be 4 _inches_ in
height, rather than 2 feet.

I don't think your "windage " objection has much weight when compared to your
other criteria, and the fact that your cabin is essentially the same height as
the folded boat, anyway. The walker bay, when on deck will have considerably
more windage, because it will be sitting on top of other parts (part of it will
be on TOP of the forward cabin trunk) of the boat, whereas the folded portaboat
will be set down low.

BB

Yeah. On reflection I guess that the differential windage would
probably not be enough to be felt in most conditions - especially if
there's an 8 foot version that I could roof-mount with actually _less_
windage than a WB8. (And less weight to launch.)

I did see one posting from someone who had a 10-foot Porta-Bote which
sounded like it shed little bits of itself and otherwise looked pretty
bedraggled after a few years.

Can anyone comment on quality of construction? I know that a 0.25"
sheet of the basic material is extremely tough stuff. My question is
more "form, fit and finish."