Dan Best

Default Questions on Radar

Lloyd Sumpter wrote:
.."obvious" place would be the nav station, but...

Your conclusion that the nav station i less than optimal is correct. A
friend of mine has it mounted there on his Valiant and having played
"radar officer" shouting instructions up to him at the helm at we
motyored under the Golden Gate dodging freighters in heavy fog ("Come
left another 15 degrees, it looks like the current is setting us toward
the point!"), you really don't want to go there.

I currently use a swing-out arm for my sounder, and it works well, but
blocks the companionway - something I'd rather not do for long periods.

We've actually got two swing out arms. One for the GPS/fish finder and
one for the radar. The truth of the matter is that we actually use the
radar infrequently enough that this is really not a problem for us.

But in either case, I'd be removing the display when the boat is
docked. How easy is this, especially the connectors?

Easy to do, but I'd be concerned about two things: #1 The connectors
eventually wearing out or bending a pin and #2 accidentaly damaging the
unit by dropping it or banging ito something as I'm carrying it and the
boat lurches or something.

Take care - Dan
--
Dan Best - (707) 431-1662, Healdsburg, CA 95448
B-2/75 1977-1979