Daniel E. Best

Default Questions on Radar

Hi Lloyd,,

1. On a sailboat, where do you put the display?

On a swing out arm in the companion way. That way, it's visible
anywhere in the cockpit and out of the way when not using it. You could
also see it form inside, but we never really use it from inside.

2. Realistically, how far do you set the max range?

Depends on conditions and what your doing. During night/inclement
weather horizon checks, we scan both close in and far out.

3. Do you trust yours enough to use it instead of a "watch"

No. In heavy fog/rain, we rely on it, but we use it in addition to eyes
and ears.

4. "constant-bearing alarm". Why not?

Dunno, But we just set a bearing line on a target and if it stays on the
line, alter course.

5. I'm looking at the Furuno 1623 or 1712,

We put the Raymarine SL-72 on both our last two boats and love it. I
really don't like the display on the JRC.

6. Is it worth while to mount the antenna up the mast

We had it on a self leveling unit on the mast on our last boat. But
decided to put it on a manual leveling unit on a tower on this one.

FWIW, I used to think of radar as a toy I'd like to have but couldn't
really justify the cost (sorta like a mast mounted wind indicator) .
Then, after we ran into heavy fog while approaching an unfamiliar harbor
one evening, my wife got me a set for my birthday. After using it for a
few years, when we bought our current boat, it was one of the very first
additions we did. I now think of it as almost a must have for the kind
sailing that we do. (I'm still hoping for the wind indicator for my
birthday some day)

Hope this helps - Dan

--
Dan Best - (707) 431-1662, Healdsburg, CA 95448
B-2/75 1977-1979