Lloyd Sumpter

Default UV degradation of Walker Bay dinghies?

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 20:56:47 +0000, Albert P. Belle Isle wrote:

I'm really attracted to the Walker Bay 8 as a dink that appears sufficiently
small to fit inverted on the foredeck of my little Hunter 310, and light enough
to possibly be able to man-handle on-and-off without using a jury-rigged
harness.

However, I note that it's made of injection-molded polypropylene.

Can anyone comment on the ease-of-launch/stowage issue, or - especially - on how
effective their "UV stabilization" really is?

Also - is Niccolls Lite still in business? Their NN10 looks really nifty.

Thanks.

Al
s/v Persephone

I've had a WB 8 for probably 5 years or so, and it's sat upside-down on Far
Cove's foredeck the entire time. I haven't noticed any UV degradation.

To launch, I just pick it up and throw it in the water. I HAVE retrieved it by
just yarding on the painter, but it puts quite a but of strain on the lifelines,
so I usually rig up a rope "harness" (either end of the transom and the bow,
connected at the center of the boat) and winch it up with the main halyard.

I love the little boat, it's been dragged over rocks, it carries 3 "in a pinch",
runs beautifully with a small electric trolling motor, rows well...I haven't set
up the sail rig because I suspect the daggerboard is too far aft to allow it to
sail well.

Only downside (apart from the daggerboard location) is that it IS a tad on the
small side. Great for one, OK for 2, 3 adults is "marginal". I'd like the 10,
or maybe build a 9ft "blunt-ended" scow instead.

For the money, I'd say you can't go wrong. Remember, you could buy a new WB8
every 5 years for 15 years before you spend what you would on an inflatable...

Lloyd Sumpter
"Near Cove" Walker Bay 8