Armond Perretta[_2_] Armond Perretta[_2_] is offline

Default More on long life bottom paint

Frogwatch wrote:
... For multi-year use, ablative paints just do not work here.
Multiple coats are absolutely necessary to get maximum copper. I buy
a gallon and a quart and use the entire amount on my 28' boat.
3 years is about the maximum time I can go before the paint stops
working well although after two I have to occassionally scrub near the
bow ...

When I wintered in Florida during the 1990's I found I had to have a diver
go down once a month to scrub. I picked this up from others nearby who were
well experienced with Florida conditions. I have never used soft or
ablative paints, but my guess is that they would not work well under these
conditions. The Trinidad I have been using for a long while did, however,
work well enough. Meanwhile I get quite good results in the Canadian
Maritimes but the swimming is a bit tough.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat