Joe Joe is offline

Default Prop torque question

On Oct 30, 1:20*pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message

I'm hoping someone might have a refference site for free wheeling prop
torque produced by a prop around the size of a 20X20 sailing at hull
speed. (9kts)

One goal on the boat we are designing and building will be an
electric drive system and we are leaning towards a power phase 150
drive.

http://www.uqm.com/propulsion_specs.php

It's a 200 HP perm magnet motor, so as you sail and the prop turns it
will generate power for the battery banks. These motors are now being
used in electric hummers in the Army. *They need *420 volt DC using
two banks of batterys (35 batteries each bank) and will require 75 LBS
or torque to generate electricity.

Now I'm pretty sure the torque on a prop around the 22" size will be
way over 75 lbs but do not know exactly. Im hoping it's twice that at
least for gear reduction.

So I'm hoping someone might have, or know where I can get data on prop
torque. If not.... I guess I'm going to have to get a monkey wrench
and a scale and find a boat of the proper size to test.

Any suggestions?

Joe

So much for your original, dumb idea of commerce using sail only. Do you
know how "green" huge lead/acid battery banks are? *You might as well just
run a diesel for your power and admit the folly of your original plan.

Wilbur Hubbard- Hide quoted text -

Battery banks can and are recycled. My goal has stayed the same Neal.

" The El Lago Coffee Company intends to show the world a model for
sustainability and profit using 100% renewable energy. We will provide
our customers with the greenest most delicious and eco-friendly
products on the market"

Also a mission statement had been online as well

"Our mission is to deliver high quality, high demand, naturally grown
products shipped in a manner that fosters brand loyalty from our
customers, and promotes environmental preservation.

With coffee being the second largest commodity traded on earth after
oil, by reducing the oil used in transport coffee, we take an
important step in reducing our dependence on middle eastern oil."

GOT IT?

Now that you know the basics let me clue you in.

1.
We want to do a job, and will have many many days at sea with ZERO
wind.
Sitting still is OK if you have nothing better to do, and plenty of
spare cash.

2.
Houston is a big port with a very busy, narrow, and long shipping
channel. I doubt the Pilot unions have a man that can tack a schooner
up the channel without a breeze.

3.
Fuel is getting expensive and oil needs to be used more wisely than
just burning it. We need to find ways of reducing demand to lower the
cost.

4. I hate dealing with diesel. After a bloody week, cut ,burned, and
then soaked in it, after a career of dealing with alge issues on just
about every boat older than 15 years old, and again the high cost, i'd
rather find a better way to have a nice long burst of energy at my
finger tips.

It's called "auxiliary power" Neal. This type of unit could also
generate the house power as well. The "primary power" and electric
generation comes from the sails.

On the issue of the bad side of acid and lead.. you have lead in your
keel and its leeching out around cedar bucket cut and chicken bone
reef as you type.

I would think a blow hard like you could see harnessing electric
power from the sails a positive thing. Nice and quiet..ect..

Joe