Glenn Ashmore

Default Cold comfort

As always there are to many options. If you have a separate genset a
120VAC holding plate might make sense. 120VAC refrigeration on an
inverter makes no sense at all to me. 12VDC or engine driven holding
plates means running the engine at least once a day and often twice.
THere are several 12VDC alternator geenset/watermakers out there but I
don't recall one with a compressor. I suppose you could add one in
place of or in addition to the watermaker pump.

This is just my theory but it seems to have worked out on the boats I
have either chartered or delivered. If you are shopping regularly and
evaporators work better because they can pull out a lot of BTUs fairly
quickly if allowed to run flat out. Holding plates will pull out BTUs
at a more regular rate. OTOH, if the box is stocked for a long passage
and you are not constantly adding new stuff the holding plate is more
efficient once everything is chilled down.

I am going with a pair of evaporator systems. One for the refrigerator
and one for the freezer. Here is how I arrived at this choice. First I
have plenty of power. 250 amp alternator and two 120 watt solar panels
charging 780 amp hours of L16HC batteries. Second, I want a copious
amount of ice for my sun downers. Third RUTU is designed for the
occasional run to Bermuda and Western Caribbean but primarily coastal
sailing and a lot of island hopping but definitely not for the South
Pacific. I expect weekly if not daily restocking. I expect my crew to
consist mostly of under 30 males which means a constant flow of beer and
soft drinks passing through the fridge. Forth Rutu will spend several
months a year in a slip 4 hours away. I want to keep the fridge stocked
and ready when I get to the boat on Friday afternoon. And finally I
wanted a system that was easy to install because I will be doing it
myself.

Everyone should develop their own criteria but those are mine.

Skip Gundlach wrote:

Hi, Glenn, and thanks for the response.

My expected pattern will be on the hook for extended periods of time,
particularly in the high season, when I/we expect to be working, perhaps 7
days a week, long hours. Since part of the reason for going offshore for
the rest of my life is peace and quiet, running engines or generators isn't
very appealing, and so I expect to have substantial solar and wind
generation to minimize that. Of course, once under way, there will be
enough instances of running the engine, I expect, that it won't be of issue
very often.

So, I'm anticipating doing something using 12V, if for no other reason than
greater efficiency than having to turn it into 120V, when I'm not running
some IC power source. I'm currently open on the subject of (IC[diesel - I
don't think I'd consider gas]) generators, but nearly certainly would not
buy one if it didn't come with the boat we buy. But, if we had one, likely
I'd like a combo ability (12V/120V), perhaps even with a tie-in to an
engine-driven compressor if it's cold plates we use.

Have you done any calculations on the load required to run cold plates
(daily amp hours) vs evaporators for the ability to keep a given volume to a
given temperature? One of the boat types we've considered has an example of
a refit set of evaporators, so it has me thinking... (They wrapped it
around the previous freezer section, entirely, at the top, and had a box/lid
topmounted in the previous reefer space, each having their own knob
temperature adjusters. I don't recall the brand, but there were two
compressors in the engine room, backed up against the reefer/frig space.)

Thanks.

L8R

Skip (and Lydia)

--