posted to rec.boats.paddle
Walt Walt is offline

Default Huron River paddling

Bit Farmer wrote:
Walt wrote:
Rich wrote:

So I'm curious if anyone has done this section recently - there were a
couple of people in wetsuits with chainsaws clearing the trees, but
it's an amateur volunteer effort, not anything organized. I'm
wondering whether they managed to clear it.

Is this a legal activity? Who is
responsible for maintaining an open channel. I know I really get
smoked when someone cuts down a tree that is on property I pay taxes on.

The trees were already down. They had fallen due to the storms and were
lying on their sides blocking the river. The people weren't cutting
otherwise healthy trees.

I'm not sure what the legality is. I know that the outfitters work to
keep the river clear on the portions used by their customers. They
probably need a permit to do it, but I'm not sure. These were private
individuals clearing the channel so that it's navigable.

No one is responsible for clearing the channel in that stretch of the
river. That's why the volunteers were at it; if they didn't, nobody would.

//Walt