posted to rec.boats.paddle
Cricket[_2_] Cricket[_2_] is offline

Default Huron River paddling

"Bit Farmer" wrote in message
Walt wrote:
Rich wrote:

So I'm curious if anyone has done this section recently - there were a
couple of people in wetsuits with chainsaws clearing the trees, but it's
an amateur volunteer effort, not anything organized. I'm wondering
whether the managed to clear it.

The rest of the river was clear - everywhere downstream of McCabe Road
(which BTW, provides excellent river access).

//Walt

So here is a question for you: Is this a legal activity? Who is
responsible for maintaining an open channel. I know I really get
smoked when someone cuts down a tree that is on property I pay taxes on.

Blakely

As far as I know, around here a "navigable waterway" that has been used
consistently is legal to be on, and once the tree is down, it's fair game
(though probably sort of like cutting off Loki's head without touching his
neck.

I've had this conversation with neighbor's about fence (not mine, but the
other side, thankfully). Technically they (tree owner) could complain - but
technically, if the tree is interfering with the fence, the fence owner can
require the tree owner to deal with it, *now*, and any escaped critters,
etc, are the tree owner's liability. Much easier to let the fence owner
trim back (reasonably).

Technically, the public is the river "owner", and as far as I can tell,
barring arguments about what is technically a navigable river (you don't get
to claim it's not navigable because your tree is blocking it, for instance),
I think it's pretty much the same deal.

Cricket