Bill Cole

Default Boat Lettering

ps - WD40 says the only product it is not good for is polycarbonate and
clear polystyrene plastic. Are these used in electronics?

From their web site:
WD-40 can be used on just about everything. It is safe for metal, rubber,
wood and plastic. WD-40 can be applied to painted metal surfaces without
harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the
few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40.

"Bill Cole" wrote in message
I have to agree not to take any posts on Usenet too seriously, but

according
to the company who makes the product:
WD-40 literally stands for Water Displacement, 40th attempt. That's the
name straight out of the lab book used by the chemist who developed WD-40
back in 1953. The chemist, Norm Larsen, was attempting to concoct a

formula
to prevent corrosion -- a task which is done by displacing water. Norm's
persistence paid off when he perfected the formula on his 40th try.
From another place on their web site they state:

September means it's time for many students to head

back-to-school.
To get into the school spirit, use WD-40 to:

a.. Remove stickers from lockers or any other hard surface
a.. Shine and clean scratches on eyeglass rims
a.. Lubricate three-ring binders
a.. Remove leftover adhesive from back to school supplies
a.. Lubricate backpack zippers

Since they only recommend using WD 40 to lubricate 3 ring binders and
zippers, I would have to stand on my premise that it is not a good
lubricant. Now, if you know it should not be used on any electronic

product
I will have to assume the person who told me this was wrong.
I do totally agree about not believing anything you read in Usenet

without
confirming it from another reliable source.

wrote in message
On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 15:29:08 GMT, "Bill Cole"
wrote:

WD 40 is not a lubricate, it is a Water Displacement product. It is

good
for spraying on electronics to keep contact points dry and to reduce

the
amount of corrosion. Too many people think it is an effective

lubricate,
it
is not.

geez. this is why you have to be very very careful how seriously you
take what you read on the internet.

WD40 IS INDEED a lubricant, and a very good one. It is NOT a water
displacement product and should NEVER be used on sensitive electronic
products. That is for tuner cleaner or CRC but NOT WD40 ! WD40 is
petroleum based and as such will indeed remove the sticky goop from
boat lettering. (And perhaps the finish / fiberglass as well !)