posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
DNH@N/A.net DNH@N/A.net is offline

Default help with boat that was sold illegally

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 16:55:43 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 16:05:17 -0400, wrote:

I'm in GA and bought a boat from someone who got it from someone
else. It came from and is currently still registered in FL, where
the someone else supposedly got it from "his brother". The person
I got it from gave me a notorized bill of sale, but the someone
else he got it from didn't give him anything, never has had the
title and never has registered the boat.

How do you know it is titled in Florida? Do you know who is named on
the title and/or registration, and can you contact them?

It still has FL numbers and stickers on it, and a person I talked
to down there said the most she could tell me is that it was last
registered in 2002. She wouldn't give me contact info on them or
even tell me their name, however.

If you can't resolve it that way and want your money back, I'd sue the
seller in small claims court and let law enforcement handle the other
details.

I want to keep the boat and register it, not get my money back. I
don't even want to cause problems for the people who sold it
illegally to begin with...all I want is to get it registered in
my name.