posted to rec.boats.paddle
Cricket[_2_] Cricket[_2_] is offline

Default Ding! Dong! The witch is dead!

"John Kuthe" wrote in message
On Oct 25, 9:12 am, "Cricket" wrote:
"John Kuthe" wrote in message
Rich

Too cold? Why, is the water solid?

I live in Missouri, and my home river is the Saint Francis. If the
water's liquid, people paddle! I've paddled in below 0 Celsius temps
and had ice forming on my paddle, and when it was raining ice too. But
as long as the water's liquid, and exists...

John Kuthe...

I'm not a fan of cold and wet when it's coming down from above too. I can
stay out of the water, mostly - but down the back of my neck - I don't even
ride in that weather if I can help it, and the horse puts out considerable
heat (those Aussie coats that hang down over the saddle? Little heat
risers, they are... ;)

Plus going by myself *and* that cold is a bad idea - and I'm *damn* sure I
don't know anyone else who will go. Used to be a bunch who went out every
Jan 1, down the Kalamazoo river (for a short stretch) - and then retired to
Su Casa, a local very tasty Mexican restaurant which (very relevant) serves
beer.

Then no one could say they'd been out earlier that year...but I don't
remember them ever saying they went right back out the next weekend... ;D

The Kalamazoo is the only river you can count on being liquid at that time
of year, so I don't feel too bad abandoning the rest 'til something
resembling spring.

Cricket