Skip Gundlach

Default Cold comfort

Well, not air conditioning...

In reefers and freezers, I've been fonder, by far, of cold plates. OTOH, in
my most recent trip, a broker who sells new boats asserted that nothing
comes out of factories that way any more due to greatly increased
efficiencies in current equipment, making 12V on-off, thermostatically
controlled, refrigeration and freezing more appropriate, not having to run
the engine or genny, etc. In an unrelated, other than efficiency,
matter, in the second most recent trip, I was also aboard a boat with 12V AC
which was in the dehumidify mode, and was quietly purring away in the stern
lazarette, seemingly not using much power, which might support the position.

So, back to refrigeration. Anybody know that to be gospel or hooey? That
is, is there hard (vs scuttlebutt) info which supports or refutes his
position?

Glenn? Richard? Others in the trade?

And, assuming tired stuff where/whatever it is, how expensive is it,
relatively, to refit one or the other (replacing what's there)?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip and Lydia, rounding third, post on that to follow

didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away
from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream.
Discover." - Mark Twain