Len Krauss

Default Folding Cabin table??

Don't have a complete understanding of what you're trying to do, but my
table has 9" wide extensions on each long side that fold onto the top of a
laminated center section. (Not underneath.) Those extensions are mortise
hinged to the center section which is twice the width of the extensions. You
see the two hinges (could be more if desired) when the extensions are out
makingfor an 36" wide table. No support leg or whatever is needed for the
extensions. Only the center is supported, and that's with a post and spider.
With extension folded, it is used as a smaller table, 18" wide. Both
surfaces of the extensions are laminated. I estimate the table's length at
36" I think you can build it to any size desired.

--
Eliminate "ns" for email address.
"Steve" wrote in message
news
I've been living on my boat for over 6 mo months without a table in the
cabin.. Kinda gotten use to all that unobstructed area, but I'm tired of
eating at the chart table or on my lap. I promised myself I would build a
table over the winter.

Why not enjoy both worlds and have a table that can be folded up against

the
fwd cabin bulkhead??

In order to serve crew seated on either settee it would need to have a

main
table section that is hinged on the fwd bulkhead and serving the stbd

settee
and a folding longitudinal leaf for the port settee.

I don't care for a idle leaf to be hanging down from the table top so I

was
thinking to leaf this leaf folded back against the bottom of the table, as
it would be when the whole table is folded up to the bulkhead.

I have seen some examples of this and they were complicated by a folding
leg. I was thinking of a pair of brass chains to the overhead..

Has anyone ever used or crewed on a boat with the free end of the table
suspended rather than a leg support??

Thoughts and suggestions?

Steve
s/v Good Intentions