doug dotson

Default BASIC Radio Question

We use FRS for general boat/boat communications while
cruising in a group, in an anchorage with friends, and ship/shore
comms while ashore, etc. Fills the bill well especially since using
marine VHF for ship/shore is illegal in this useage. Not sure
that comparing FRS and CB is not an apples and oranges thing.
My FRS radios perfrom pretty much as advertised. I used to
have a 5 watt handheld CB. Would want to carry it around much

Doug
s/v Callista

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
I never figured out why CB SSB never caught on. I had one back in the

70's
and rarely found someone else to talk to.

I think CB/SSB is making a comeback in the wake of poor range for FRS/GMRS

and
no license needed for the CB.
AM/SSB has good range and makes sense for boat-to-boat communications with
radios costing under 200 bucks. In any case, the fact that they didn't

"catch
on" just means there's less noise if my friends and I add them.

RB